31 January 2011

Mini

Just a little mini-review for each to get me in the swing of things again.


Death of a Salesman: The end was somehow ruined for me just days before I picked this up, but I still felt that this was essential reading. I found myself overwhelmingly sympathetic to the main character, despite his numerous faults. He was an injured ~spirit and I just wanted to pick him up and bring him back to reality. I didn't care so much for the rest of the cast. I feel like plays leave a greater impression me than books; yet I don't know how to express that impression nor do I even enjoy plays that much. This piece, though its themes could definitely apply now, is more of a period one in that it deals with the American Dream and the consequences of pursuing that lofty ideal. Miller juxtaposes the successful yuppies with the aging, unlucky men of yesterday. We see the ones that are left behind in our rapidly-advancing era. And that is what makes this still a work worth reading.


An Abundance of Katherines- Second read by Green. Did not find as enjoyable as the first, but still a good way to waste my time. The premise was intriguing, but the execution could have been better. I identified with Lindsey and adored Hassan (even though I usually detest people who glorify obesity) and found the residents of Gutshot to be charming. The math didn't even put me off! Green's trademark nerd humour was abundant and effective. However, I felt that the story at some points was lopsided and could have been edited better. I have one more novel by the same author to read, so we'll see if Paper Towns is still my favourite!


My Name is Memory- I'd heard so much about this romance that I had to pick it up. While at the library this weekend, a librarian gushed over it and inspired me to bring it to the forefront. It did not take me that long to read, and it wasn't a waste of my time, per se. But I do have mixed thoughts on it. Regarding the historical anecdotes that were interspersed within the text: I adored them! They showed just the right amount of attention to detail and emotion. Daniel was an excellent narrator. He was subtle and three-dimensional; his stories never bored me. He was likable as a young, wayward teen and as a heartbroken, debilitated solider. On the other hand, I was bored by Lucy, though not so much with her previous incarnations. She was the typical young woman and not remarkable. I didn't see how she was worth all of his pain! Nor did I see the link between the couple. Perhaps I was just supposed to suspend belief? Anyway, the rest of the story was so-so to me. It started off well but dragged on. I knew one part of the ending (guess I attract spoilers?) but was misled in one big way that I won't disclose. I'm not sure if there is to be a sequel to this book, but I don't see why there would be. What else can you say? These people are obviously soulmates and will end up together. We get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment