07 July 2010

Discovering Kwan Yin

Without going into too much detail here, I've been drawn to the figure and mythos of Kuan Yin for quite some time, and was ecstatic to find this book about her. I'd recommend this book for someone with an open mind, as Boucher gets pretty new-agey here (even for me!) as well as someone who is already familiar with the legends of Kuan Yin. This isn't so much an introduction to the history of the Goddess, but more of an informal study on her via personal experiences of women throughout the world. There was, however, some good background information of the bodhisattva, and coupled with some of the inspiring stories, this was a worthwhile read.
I had only a few problems with the short piece. First, though it was addressed, the issue of feminism and Kuan Yin wasn't adequately addressed, though the case could be made that it wasn't the place to do so. Either way, I was a bit disappointed when the topic was briefly touched upon and then ignored. Another issue I had was the inclusion of information taken from a channeling--it certainly didn't seem to fit in, and put me off. I've always held interest in the spiritual, as well as the tools that one can use, but this just...made me feel ill at ease and I wish that it hadn't been included.
Overall, however, it was an enlightening read for me and it solidified my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment